Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Russia is a Frigid Swimming Pool

After leaving my family behind in the lobby of the Embassy Suites in Washington DC, I couldn't help but feel the complete permanence of my decision. This was it. I was going to Russia for four months (or more) and there was no looking back. I was happy, excited, and oh-so-pumped.

Until pre-orientation.

Although the people I met were simply amazing, the orientation blew my mind in terms of how dismal they were. There were no mentions of the good times we would have or how beautiful Russia is. They gave us absolutely nothing good to look forward to. But they gave us something to look forward to...in the life-threatening sense.









New St. P friend, Molly!







We heard horror story after horror story...muggings, being held at knife point, getting kidnapped, assaulted or worse. Needless to say we were all horrified and suddenly second guessing our decisions. The orientation ended without a warm word.

I had a weak moment, I'll admit it. I couldn't for the life of me think of the reasons why I wanted to study this country until I had someone shake some sense into me. And then it came to me. Going to Russia was exactly like contemplating jumping into a really cold pool. You're on the cusp of it, looking in. You know it's going to be frigid and really uncomfortable, and you think to yourself, "Do I really want to leave this warm, comfy atmosphere to jump in freaking ice water?" Meanwhile you know you're going to jump in anyways. It may be cold and uncomfortable at first, but in the back of your mind, you know that you'll adjust eventually. The cold water becomes warm, and you eventually feel comfortable. And when you decide to get out, you're refreshed, invigorated, and ready to take on the world.

Well, hopefully the latter part of that analogy works out for me. Haha.

The Saint-Petersburg group went out to Buca di Beppo for dinner, and all was well since we were feasting for free. And the dessert? Oh, just look at it. Completely decimated.












---------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Jumping In
I sat next to two guys going to Moscow on the plane over to Frankfurt. Good times were had but I didn't get any sleep (this was to become a trend until I would eventually collapse. Awesome stories are ahead, I assure you). By now I'm introduced to many of my St. Petersburg classmates, most of whom are pretty damn sweet.

Landing in Russia was simply bizarre. To see all the Cyrillic and cold, Russian faces was a wake-up call. After more traveling through St. Petersburg, we got to our dorms and passed out.

However, that night the St. Petersburg futbol team won some European cup, so the hooligans were out in full force at the bar next door. Cars were beeping every three seconds, and people were yelling, screaming, and chanting. In the state of mind I was in (that is, half asleep and beyond exhausted), I kept waking up and just feeling so hopeless. It was great when they started chanting "Sieg Heil". No, really.

The next day was our orientation within the city. These orientations were actually really, really helpful. I got a Russian cell phone and got to "gulyat" around a bit. Side note: It's hard to write well in English now that I've been completely immersed in Russian. I really have the think. It's an odd feeling.


(<- Our dorm and our beds)
My last night in the dorm (as I was to move in with my host mama the next morning), I went out with several guys and my friend Caroline all over Nevski Prospekt. We went to Fidel and listened to American music from 3 years ago, it was awesome.

Drinking our beers on the street (you can do that here!), we meandered to the square outside of the Hermitage. An old man was playing his saxophone and it echoed off the lit-up walls-- it was a beautiful image and a beautiful experience, especially when a bit tipsy. I thought to myself, "This is why I'm here." Surrounded by people experiencing the same blissful feeling, the night really couldn't get any better.

Suddenly, RUSSIANS! Everywhere! Well, not everywhere, but some Russians our age bombarded us and decided to take us Americans under their wing and go to Achtung, Baby, a popular night club several blocks away. One of them, Valera, did not believe I was American since I dressed very Russian-like and spoke with less of an accent. He kept asking for my documents and laughing. Oh, Russian militsia.

One of the girls from the Russian group asked me what I thought about the Russian-Georgian Conflict, but I was told not to speak about it. She seemed very open minded about it, however, claiming that she wanted to know what information other media has been giving.

After hearing all about the rampant anti-American sentiment in Russia, it was such a relief to meet Russians who were accomadating and overall amazing to hang out with. Once we got to Achtung, Baby, we danced until 5 in the morning to Russian ska, Bon Jovi, The Beatles, and Spice Girls. We were euphoric.

I freaking love Russia.


Much more has happened, but that is for another time and another day. Leave me comments, I love to hear from you all. My life has gotten interesting to say the least, but I can't update all at once. Next: My amazing host mother, classes, excursions, and observations.

2 comments:

Super Senior said...

(1) Russia less of a frigid swimming pool than it is a bowl full of mixed nuts (you being the mixed nut dressed in spandex and pleather).

(2) You demolished that dessert like a trooper.

(3) More pictures.

K, thanks! Smooches. --Alex--

Unknown said...

Great post Brit! I agree with Alex, more pictures!